Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- Voice Solo Instrument
- Elder Hall Location
This exploration of song takes you through four centuries of magnificent music. This panoramic program includes music by Barbara Strozzi, Fanny Hensel, Alma Mahler, Kaija Saariaho and co-curator Anne Cawrse.
The recital will be followed by a discussion with soprano Kate Macfarlane and co-curator Anna Goldsworthy, as they consider female composers writing for the female voice. They also explore the pivotal role the composer Barbara Strozzi played in 17th-century Venetian musical life.
This event is part of our She Speaks Festival – click here to view our other events
Patrons attending this concert will no longer be required to show proof of double COVID-19 vaccination.
Program to include
- Elisabeth-Claude Jacquet de la Guerre Esther: Ah, quel horrible carnage
- Francesca Caccini Dov’io credea le mie speranze vere
- Barbara Strozzi L’Astratto, Op.8 No.4
- Fanny Hensel Op. 1, Schwanenlied, Morgenständchen & Gondellied
- Nadia Boulanger Le Couteau
- Lili Boulanger Clairières dans le ciel, No. 5: Au pied de mon lit
- Pauline Viardot Les Deux Roses
- Anne Cawrse A Woman’s Song: Chanson
- Margaret Sutherland Six Songs: Settings of Poems by Judith Wright
- Rebecca Clarke The Seal Man