Tickets for this event are no longer available.
- 1 hr 45 mins Duration* Due to the nature of live music, the duration listed is an estimate only.
- 20 mins Interval
- Cello Solo Instrument
- Adelaide Town Hall Location
- Mingling Room Category
A hundred years ago, the world stumbled out from the devastation of the Great War, a shadow of its former self. Looking back on what was lost forever, Elgar found a voice for his longing and desolation in a heartbreaking Cello Concerto. To Leonard Elschenbroich, our soloist, this work marks a turning point in history. Where could art go from here?
Enter the Roaring Twenties. Milhaud’s Le bœuf sur le toit tips its hat to Charlie Chaplin and surrealism in a hypnotic mishmash of popular Brazilian songs. Then the Jazz Age arrives with a ‘honk’ in Gershwin’s An American in Paris. Finally, with unbreakable determination (and more than a little madness), Ravel’s Boléro marches us inexorably into the modern era.
Your concert ticket includes entry to The Mingling Room, a free one hour talk held in the Meeting Hall, located just behind Adelaide Town Hall.
As a condition of entry all persons aged 12 and over will need to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid medical exemption to gain entry to this event.
- Patrons will need to show their COVID-19 digital certificate on their smart device (as part of the QR Code check in process) OR provide photo identification with a printed immunisation certificate.
- Those with an official medical exemption will need to show their certificate of exemption
- For the safety of our patrons and players, please do not attend a concert if you feel unwell or have cold or flu-like symptoms.
Program to include
- Milhaud Le bœuf sur le toit
- Elgar Cello Concerto
- Gershwin An American in Paris
- Ravel Boléro